outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Why I like teaching

The students are too polite not to laugh at my jokes. I went in to the travel agent the other day and two boys of say 14 years were sitting at a side desk doing their homework - obviously waiting for their Mum to finish work. I had been in to the office several times before so I knew the layout and the personnel. So on seeing the boys with books in front of them I went up to them and said I'd like to book a flight to London please. How much is that? Make it a return trip. I love to see their smiles and nervous looks around for help from this guy who surely must know we are too young to be travel agents. It's just a little joke which hopefully makes them feel good about themselves. I hope it is not a form of bullying - you know, taking advantage of little kids as victims of a quirky sense of humour. I didn't consider them as victims. I thought they were good sports. Occasionally I get a student who plays along with my silly routine and that brings me back to Earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home