outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, August 10, 2006

four times pick pocketed

tells me I the victim am doing something wrong. It's a ridiculous proposition that the victim could be to blame but that is the world we live in. The victim of rape is sometimes blamed for wearing provocative clothes - the "She asked for it" excuse. The little old lady is blamed because "She left her back door unlocked while she was watching TV". The shark is hunted and killed because it ate food that was swimming in its territory.
When I first arrived in P Moresby, I wore my mobile clipped on to my shirt collar and a lady approached me saying "Excuse me sir, put your phone in your pocket." John, Paul and Robert have all told me "Put your wallet away."
AVI gave us security briefings and we were reminded of these at our Loloata conference. I have to be more alert. 58 years of being casual is hard to shake off. Learning new skills of watchfulness and preparedness requires for me constant reminders to myself. I catch myself with my hand away from my pocket and I have to almost frown like a gorilla and bite my tongue as though I am trying to solve the riddle of how to get the peanut out of the bottle without letting go of the peanut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home