outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, July 06, 2006

what a beautiful noise

The sound of the booing and jeering as the PM was introduced to the Melbourne crowd at the third State of Origin match last night. When the PM heard the booing he leaned over to his minder and asked, "Did they introduce me as Paul Keating or Gough Whitlam?"
"No, Sir," said the startled minder.
"Then why do they sound as though they are not rejoicing? Am I not John the Loveable, Friend of battlers, Tyrant of the unemployed, disabled, single mothers, loners, losers, weirdos and freaks? Am I not Man of Steel, Champion of All America, Scourge of Asylum Seekers, Sports Fanatic, Holy, Religious and Devout? Am I not all these things and more?
"Yea Sire, indeed you are all these things."
"Then why do they not appreciate me more?"
"I think it is but an ironic cheer your Majesty - I mean Sir. They are Victorians and they prefer their champion Peter Costello. They mean you no ill Sire. 'Tis but an mock-pseudo-ironic expression of their admiration and affection."
"I thought as much myself. Well done. Carry on!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home