outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

blackouts and road repairs

I got the following email about the power blackouts which occurred for maybe 6 or so hours yesterday and Tuesday.
"Members,
PNG Power has advised us that the recent Power Blackouts are due to three generators presently being out of order at Ramu Station. As well another stand-by generator in Lae Sub-Station is experiencing problems. Members are advised to have their localised generators maintained while these intermittent blackouts are occurring. PNG Power hopes this situation will be rectified by late this afternoon.
Regards, Lae Chamber of Commerce Inc."

Last Saturday the Kamkumung road was refilled with gravel to smooth out the moonscape. It was reasonable when I came in to Church on Sunday. Last night when I came in for Rotary the road was almost back to pre gravel condition. This is the third lot of gravel in 8 months since I have been here. I suppose the government is waiting for my taxes through AusAid to fix up the road?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home