outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

letters between friends

Hey Nathan, Thanks for the update - Robt told me about the stabbings and holdups. I've not been blogging much this week. I think I will try to get Adult Matriculation courses rewitten - we're to get new secretaries to do the typing and I need teachers to let me know about the curriculum as I am not the syllabus content expert. I could teach English but it would be English as taught in Australian schools and thus the problem. It needs contextualisation which I cannot do on my own. I'd like to see PNG idioms taught: you see the ads on EMTV - western English and cultural sophistication - and the PNG English/Language curriculum as I see it - I repeat I - to emphasise that the other and not I should be writing the content. You know what I mean. Margerine ads; sexy swaying girls selling mobile phones or Ella motors cars. Where's the PNG idiom? Anyway, I'll see if I can at least get this project started. Talk later on if not Sunday. Geoff. Contextualisation is important Geoff - and we'd all like to be perfectionists on the pedagogical ladder of cultural relativism - but a good teacher is a good teacher and good materials (can be) good materials regardless of how 'in-cultured' they are. So I hope you're not 'holding up' too much on those points! But I agree - would be fascinating/good to teach on PNG idioms...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home