outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, July 06, 2006

six pairs of undies

have gone missing. I asked my haus meri this morning and she said they could have been left out under cover and stolen after the washing on Tuesday. Why would anyone steal undies of all things? Then I started thinking. I came down this morning and checked my pantry and was excited that the rat which has been living with me since the rain started a week ago had not disturbed anything and I rejoiced that maybe at last he had chosen to eat the rat bait. Then lo, I glanced over at the empty dog food bowl where I had left a bone and meat scraps for the dog Patch but she elected not to eat them last night and went next door to Roger her master. I'm sure I didn't see her come in again. So my rejoicing turned to dismay that the culprit must have been the rat. Then I began to wonder. Yesterday when I got up and couldn't see the undies on the shelf, I began to do a count of the undies on the floor and I could not account for the ones I had worn to Rotary the previous night. I had woken up the previous night to the sounds of rat's feet and had shone the light and the noise stopped. I haven't seen as many geckos either. This rat has one big rat trap coming to him. No nice guy poisoning him to death any more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home