outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

with the precautions needed for PMV

travelling, why do you do it? Friends will take me shopping so why tempt things when they are so bad? However little I have as a volunteer it is still 100 times more than the people who gather in wait for you at the PMV stops are ever likely to have. They want material possessions but their ways of procurring them does not excuse their behaviour. I see people in wheel chairs with bony legs - probably victims of polio. Another bloke outside Foodmart with one crippled leg sitting on the wet concrete path with his hand reaching up as he sees the wait man approaching. Another 10 year old or so boy with his hand reaching upward - his eye is white, must have been blinded or something. Sometimes I might give but generally I have become hardened. Why aren't their wontoks helping out if wontokism is so culturally engrained that is the root cause of corruption? Anyway, I CHOOSE to travel by PMV - most of the time. This experience is my most culturally challenging experience. Being at the University does not expose me in the way that other volunteers are exposed to the real people and the survival issues of the country. Life need not be like it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home