outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

once you are on the PMV

you are generally safe although there are so far as I know only isolated of incidents of rascols and bullies and criminals. Mostly the passengers look after each other. The main problem is at the bus stop particularly when it is crowded. At times like that particularly you should not have anything of value in your pocket. Hold everything together in your bag in front of you. Hold onto this bag and do not just let it dangle around your neck. When necessary use the free hand for balance and support but if possible put both hands around your bag. If you have groceries in the other hand then be prepared to lose them - you can always buy another packet of weet bix and another jar of vegemite but to lose your mobile with all the contact details and to lose your wallet with cards and everything are more major problems. Yesterday after my exam finished about 4pm I had to do some shopping so I go to the Top Town Lae bus stop about 4.30. I held my bag up to my chest and my attitude was there are 100 thieves there out of 500 people. They work in groups and they know you are coming. The colour of your skin gives you away as an easy target. As a wait man you are one of only about five wait men who catch a PMV so you will always be a prime target.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home