outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, June 23, 2006

I forget where I am up to

in my web-log. I've been at a Distance Learning Seminar presented by Prof Fred Lockwood over the last few days which has kept me busy - so busy that i have forgotten my train of thought so I am not sure how themetic, consistent and coherent I am. I just looked at the picture of the welcome to Tony and I describe both Tony and i as standing. I meant to say jokingly I am standing out of the picture taking it. This is of course Tony, standing stretching his legs having just arrived from New Zealand. Which one of the "ing" words here is the gerund? "This" is the subject of the sentence, "Tony" is the object but I would need to consult Fowler to recall how the gerund is governed.
My camera has been with friend Atul who had the good fortune - as a result of hard work - to go to Rabaul and he took photos of the destruction of the volcanic eruption eight years ago I think it was. We had a shaky earthquake about 10pm last night. It wobbled my book, 1812 as I was reading. I have a slight window of opportunity to do some casual reading before I start French 307 in late July. Texts we are studying this time are Sartre's play Les Mains sales and Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses and two works by Ernaux. I saw Les L.d at Oxford about 15 years ago - long enough ago to have forgotten it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home