outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, February 16, 2006

so cool to be an Aussie

I'm sitting here just killing time at the moment -it's been a slow day for registration of students and I've got most of my preparation done for the inservices I have to present and so I am just reflecting on the vulgar summer of cricket which just ended. I hoped Sri Lanka would have won to bring the idiotic crowds and arrogant Australian cricket team to humiliation instead their heads are going to be bigger than ever. The PNGns always barrack for NZ in transTasman rivalry because they can't stand the skiting and loutishness of the Australians. Notice how we endearingly call ourselves Aussies - something I refuse to do. Young Australians set out to Bali and Thailand with this sentimental idea that "I'm everybody's mate, I'm cool an casual an I saved yez in the war because I'm a great killer of baddies and I drink loads of beer and that makes me exceptionally cool and loveable, an the world loves me so I can't help being so popular an I can't help it if I wear thongs and yez are jealous of me beaches and yair while I don't live in the bush and have never seen a kangaroo outside of a shopping centre holiday zoo, me grandfather sort of went west of Parramatta once and I can corpy the way loik that Crorckerdoil Dunbloodydee tawks like y'know an oim loveable 'cause oim an Aussie an jus git me ta tawk like as if I came from west 've Parramatta loik an git me ta drop me ing sounds y'know loik tawkin an shoutin and rootin an drinkin an drop me aitches an be loveable like all ve uvver Aussies cause I jus know yez 'll all be cheerin for us , not that I'm a sportsman meself like but yez'll be cheerin for us Aussies cause I know how popular we are an I'm sorry yous can't be an Aussie too an be popular."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home