outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Rest in Peace Lucky

Lucky was not there when I walked past this morning. I had gone in to Eriku yesterday afternoon and had brought home some dog meat which I was going to surreptitiosly drop for her on my way to work this morning. I'm not in a position that I can own a dog and I did not want to encourage her as a benefactor. I feel guilty and terrible that I cannot do anything. I'm here for another year and judging by the number of other strays, who would have looked after Lucky when I left? In a place where the lives of people are if not exactly wretched as they are in some parts of Africa but are nevertheless a struggle, then the plight of animals is not a high concern for many people. There is an RSPCA in Waigani but it does not seem to be a priority in the consciousness of where I am. I hope you are better off Lucky. I hope it was merciful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home