outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Matthew arrived safely at Nadzab

yesterday afternoon about 5 pm. I spent most of the day fretting that everything would be alright. He has been around the world with me and over to Fiji with his friend Kristie but this was the first time he has travelled internationally by himself. I had visions of his not being able to pick up his eticket - it had been bought this end. Then what if he wasn't allowed to buy an "on arrival visa" and they put him in a detention centre? Then how would he make the link between the international and the domestic terminal at Jacksons in P Moresby? And when I saw the passengers alighting I could not see Matthew. Oh dear. Mate Atul tells me I have to realise he is grown up and capable and to not concern myself so much and I know he is right. I must inherit my worry from my Mother. I am sure Dad worried just as much about Paul my younger brother when he had to go to Vietnam but he had to be strong to support my mother and so his concern did not show through so much. The dread of families whose children go into the military to fight wars made by old men who get other people's children to do the fighting for them. You gutless reckless old cowards. Anyway, back to Matt. I finally spied him through a peep hole waiting in the baggage waiting room. Such relief!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home