outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, July 15, 2006

together what can we do

to change perceptions and correct confusion? I see razor wire around many homes. I see security guards around my haus. I see economic anxiety in my haus meri. I see heavy duty steel bars through the windows. I see heavy duty grills on the windows of one of the airport buses. I see cardboard boxes and plastic bottles and red buai spittle piled up. I see the minimum wage is K38 per week.
I see smiles and joy on the faces of people around me. I hear the choir singing in church. I see people helping me on the PMVs. I see people queuing up to enrol in education courses. I see students in uniform. I see children each afternoon greet me "Avinun Mr Geoff," I see Fr Stanley and John and Peter and Jacob and Harold and Eunice and Maria and Demaris and Samson and David and Enoch and Tobias smiling and talking to me.
I am confused by the two worlds I see.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home