outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Saturday, July 15, 2006

my 83 year old mother was beside herself

with consternation when my first assignment was to have been Afghanistan in June last year. Lae in PNG is not so far away and I think she can handle the proximity. I have been back twice in my 8 months here. But I chose to forsake her and my son Matthew to try to do some good for someone else. I chose to forsake being away at the time of the anniversary of my daughter's birth. I chose to accept the kindness of a mate Barry who took flowers out to her grave.
If I do nothing else other than employ a haus meri and give her a sense of security for my time here I assume that counts for something? If I do nothing else other than treat the compound security guards with as much dignity and respect as the rules will allow me, then I assume that counts for something?
So how do I express my confusion? Am I not allowed to be confused and do I have to keep it to myself? I am not a PNG national. I am a guest in this country. I read and hear about things in the paper every day. If my correspondent often hears the offensive things I wrote, what has my correspondent done to allay my seeing and hearing things? I have already apologised, in Christianity I believe I am already forgiven because I am sincere. But now in looking to the future, I wonder what my correspondent and I can do together to ensure no-one else has cause to see and hear things, the writing about which gives offence?

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home