outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, July 17, 2006

Larry and Bonny invited

Robert and myself to the Mission on Friday. We caught a PMV to Eriku, then to Market then to 11mile. On the way home we got off the 11 mile PMV and walked through Eriku to the PMV stop then to Kamkumung then to Unigate.
I had never been in that part of Eriku and as it turned out I discovered one of the exclusive parts of Lae - large two story homes surrounded by razor wire. Robert impressed the locals in the back streets by buying buai through the fence and chewing it as they do.
At the Mission, Robert mainly addressed the boys. He has an interest in sponsoring street kids in kick boxing and he was interested in meeting the boys whom Larry supervises. I showed the boys my repaired thongs: the toe hold had broken and I repaired it with a plastic bag. PNGns are excellent improvisors and to see a wait man able to do such improvisation clearly impressed them. Mostly I suppose we throw things away when they break but I learnt from my father the attitude of fixing what can be fixed.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home