outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, July 06, 2006

"I am amazed at what seems to be hypocrisy"

a correspondent told me, referring to the dualism of going to Church and using profane language and seemingly blaspheming about Jesus' being crucified. I get concerned when to make a point I feel I need to express myself in the vernacular. It is almost a case of giving in to the aussies and speaking their dumbed down language and profaning in the way they profane. Wait a minute, how can this be? These very same aussies, the Howard's battlers surely cannot be profaners? They are shown pictures of this Holy, Righteous, Religious and Devout man of God, Christian, KNEELING - let me say it again KNEELING - in Church in contradistinction to his own worshipping tradition in order to contradistinguish himself against the less showy and less pretentious other political leaders. Who is the hypocrite here? These aussies looking at pictures of a hypocrite in Church and admiring him for his Devotion? Or the hypocrite himself in PR worshipful mode? Or myself who rants and raves at the same hypocrisy and social injustice and ignorance that Jesus himself raved about? Like the Jews of Moses', Jeremiah's and Jesus' time, the aussies are one gene short of homo sapiens and the only language and imagery they understand sounds crude even to my ear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home