outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, April 28, 2006

does it matter?

I saw the news last night and I read the letters page of the SMH and if there is one thing I am thankful about for going to PNG is that I've woken up to the inanity of life in Australia. Nothing has changed - except for the bimbo Mel who used to be on Ch 7 morning show as a giggling flirtatious girty well now she is on the same show cast this time as the serious bird trying to gurgle deep and meaningful commentary about tragedy such as the men killed in the underground mine disaster in Tasmania and the wrong coffin being brought back to Australia in place of the dead soldier. Beazeley and Labor are trying still to grunt something relevant, Howard is still trying to keep a straight face as he lies his way from one policy to the next. Who cares? Well I care about most things but not the junk that TV and politicians and celebrities care about. So what if Tom and his new wife have a baby. Of course having a baby is a big deal - I ought to know I have two of them - but why should it matter to anyone else. Twenty five years ago when Matt was a baby I was doing casual work in schools in Canberra while I tried to get permanent work in the public service and while I studied Fine Art at ANU and Journalism at CCAE. What if I had stayed there and locked myself into the gross materialism of Canberra? I am thankful that PNG has woken me up to such ugliness and inanity. Why should anyone care about what the networks decide we should care about? The way they have changed Mel and probably Coshi although I didn't see him- by character recast following polling - should make people realise they are being conned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home