outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

"I am right and everybody else is wrong.

All the time, in all circumstances, no exceptions. I supported the war in Vietnam. It was right then and I am not going to recant of the actions of Australia. It was the correct policy. It was right to kill the Vietnamese then just as it is right to call them our partners now."
Would you expect the Vietnamese to agree with you?
"Oh yes. President Linh van Huoc just told me 'Ah Prime Minister. So happi you come. So happi you kill planti of my countrymen 30 years ago. Vietnam no have population problem like China now. Very happi. Very good war. You very wise man.'"
And the Vietnamese people, they are happy too?
"Oh yes. One peasant just told me, 'Ahh your majesty. So grad you kill my father and mother and sisters and brothers. Now I do not have to share my house and land with them. So very happi."
And the Iraqis, they are happy?
"Oh yes, very happy. These buildings were over 2000 years old they told me. The bombing saved them the trouble of knocking them down."
And what about the dead people?
"Oh yes, they are very happy about that. They just love funerals. It gives them a chance to get on the streets in large numbers and celebrate just like we do at New Year."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home