outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I didn't get to Church until

half way through the Old Testament reading on Sunday. I got to the Unigate PMV stop in plenty of time at 8.25 and eight buses came before I decided it was my turn to get the next one that came. The driver I think had remembered me from his previous trip half an hour before so he pulled up right in front of me and the rest was up to me to push and shove and hold my bag close to me to prevent pick pocketing and act as uncivilly and as ungraciously and as un Christianly as possible which I did. I've climbed in through the window once before but it really is a very rude practice to queue jump and shows disrespect for other travellers. In some places queues are reasonably orderly but generally getting on a PMV at peak load times is not a pleasant experience. But I still like the travel part because it is not so isolating as the private transport experience is.
Pushing and shoving is not confined to here. I went to a Benny Hinn "crusade?/healing ministry?" at the Sydney Entertainment Centre about 8 years ago and the ushers had to suggest to the crowds that that they should remember they were Christians and that pushing and shoving was hardly a loving way of behaving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home