outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Friday, September 01, 2006

the dangly thing


is a fertility and masculinity symbol for this cultural group presentation from I forget which part of PNG. Groups represeneted many parts of the highlands, coastal, islands and one group of students represented Solomon Islands.
It takes me back to when we Celts were painting our faces with blue woad and worshipping trees.
I was saying to Robert and Eli last night how nice it is to experience the different cultural and musical traditions humans can offer. I enjoyed hearing the Middle Eastern music when I was in Tunisia and hear, to hear the island singing and drumming is something special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home