outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, August 24, 2006

how do you ban gambling?

My TV came back yesterday after it blew a switch about six weeks ago. I didn't get it fixed the first week because the technician was away. The next week the whole Univ TV network was down and he had to work on that. The next week led up to Loloata and there were still more TV network problems. Then there was the electricty blackout. Then he gave me the switch and told me to get one from Tolec. Then I had to run around to organise tickets for Matthew. Then Matthew came and I spent spare time with him. So this week I was able to get the switch and that was a drama in itself but now my TV is back. In the meantime I had been using one borrowed from Atul and Shikha but the cable connection only picked up three channels. So last night before I went out to supervise an English test I heard an ad for gambling in PNG. Gambling ought to be banned in any country which relies on overseas aid for development - it ought to be a condition on aid's being given. If a country is too poor to support itself then it is too poor to gamble. Oh yair, but what about the rich people who can afford it? Their hearts ought to be looking out for their countrymen and not into personal affordable entertainment like gambling. A big call but how to you implement it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home