outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Sunday, August 20, 2006

blogger down since Wednesday

apparently? I hadn't been able to web my log since last Wednesday and even today Sunday seems to be playing up. I see Nomad Tales posted on 19th Aug so maybe its a PNG thing. Matt went back on the early flight this morning - eventful week for him and me. He and Eli were walking outside BSP on Friday afternoon and I was two paces behind when a furtive hand made a grab for the dummy phone in the phone slot of Matt's bag. I told him to p..off you f.. tu pingaed thief and Eli told him he had a beard so he should grow a garden and not be lazy - a real put down in PNG society. So I criticise pick pockets. Does that mean I should go home because I don't like them or their behaviour? If I can't stand the heat - ie, the pick pockets, does that mean I should get out of the kitchen - ie, PNG? My critic sees it as racist for an ex-pat to criticise and see problems. I work with honourable people who are trying to improve the lot of the people of this country. If my critic can't take being told the truth then that person is part of the problem and not of the solution. Go around with your head in the sand then and PNG will continue to slide past the least developed nation status. Have a look at the roads on campus and Independence drive and everywhere else and tell me there are no problems. You narrow pride minded selfish chauvinist. I write not to rubbish the country but to let others know the reality. See the SMH story. I've got friends here whom I would love to see good things happen to.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are we talking about here?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home