outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, August 21, 2006

Positive Morale Booster

The work that John and the department has been doing over the last two weekends to reinvigorate the pre tertiary entrance programmes has been recognised by the University. Teachers are giving up their weekends for this curriculum development activity and their dedication along with John's understanding of what is needed are nothing short of inspirational.
Therein is the frustration. These are skilful knowledgeable professionals and if other similar institutions are like them then you have to wonder in amazement why the roads and telecommunications industries and other infrastructure are like they are.
Corruption is the biggest factor which is condemning the citizens to a couldn't care less attitude by the authorities in government. The nobility of spirit of the people at the little end of town - the honest toilers and citizens - ought to shame the bikpelas but they have no sense of shame. Neither does my critic who gets a free kick in if I write something critical. There is no love in a relationship if one can't tell the honest truth as it is. If I see a pickpocket in action, if I see a pothole in a road, if I can't use a computer on account of a blackout, if I can't get an internet connection, then what am I supposed to do? Keep quiet and pretend that it is not happening? My critic, you are part of the problem. I'm here to help. What are you here for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home