outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, July 24, 2006

Is blasphemy OK with you?

As for people who think it is OK to have a free kick at my God by blaspheming. I was at the Uni open day in Sydney a few years ago and this punk being MC was blaspheming the God of the Christians with some descriptive "f" adjectives thrown in as well. Why do people think it is alright to blaspheme Jesus Christ? No-one would blaspheme Allah or Yahweh or Buddha or the Rainbow Serpent or Krishna and get away with it without a discrimination charge on the grounds of an offensive abuse of a person's religion being brought against them so why do they do it to a Christian? I was talking about this issue to a Muslim friend and he said he too gets offended by it because Jesus is one of his religion's prophets and therefore it should not happen. I told the MC punk that what he was saying was offensive and he just looked at me as if I was a weirdo out of King St. People like him rule the social world as much as the John Boltons rule the international political world. There is no other word for it than bullying - "I can because you're not going to stop me."
People in PNG are much more respectful of the name of Jesus Christ as too are they much more respectful of the ears of the audience in matters of profane and indecent language. Another of the joys of being here is the absence of angry vulgar uncouth language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home