outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

a feed for the gecko

I bought 400g of topside mince yesterday and I cooked it up when I got home before going to Rotary. I fried up some onions and two tomatoes (I had bought some that were about to go squishy for K1.20 - cheap!) and the smell delighted the blow flies and brought about a dozen inside. I wouldn't mind them if they would sit quietly like the gecko but they are such attention seekers. Anyway they moved over to the fly screen and of course they couldn't get out that way: why don't they remember to go out the same way they came in - through the broken gauze in the doors? So I closed the louvres to trap them so I could cook in peace. Then I saw an anxious gecko lurking on the kitchen side of the louvres. Aha - why not let the gecko in for a feast? I couldn't see the flies this morning - nor the gecko for that matter. Maybe he was camouflaged against the glass?
I am not sure where my conscience stands on this matter, or the one at the museum in Port Moresby (designed by Martin, ex-architect and neighbour here). There was a contented snake curled up in a corner and two three week old chicks. Should chicks be exposed to worry? No animal was going anywhere - they were in a glass cage.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home