outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

yesterday's chores

Chore: a task that you do regularly. On Friday I had easi-pay electricity meter installed at my house. It put 20 units on to get me going and by yesterday, Tuesday afternoon, there were 6.5 units remaining. I went in at lunchtime to pay my previous bills for May and June - a total of K121.14 and to buy K50 worth of prepaid electricity so that topped up my account to 116.9 units. I had to go to the bank (ANZ) first where I withdrew K300: K170 all up for electricity; K20 for a Raid prepaid phone card; K50 for Rotary last night; the balance for groceries. For a treat to spoil myself for having accomplished my chores I bought two finger bun doughnuts filled with cream and topped with jam. One was for my lunch, I gave the other to two workmates.
Atul picked me up for Rotary last night. Nice meal of steak, chips and salad. For general business I raised the matter of the cost of the Changeover Dinner. We were told K35 but on the night it was K60. I had to pay K10 last night because I did not have sufficient with me last week. As it turned out, a few others were financially embarrassed too: people carry around a minimum of cash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home