outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

the confidence to live outside

one's comfort zone. I am very timid and shy when it comes to living and behaving in another culture and I feel embarrassed that my tok pisin is not as developed as I would like it to be. Two other AVIs and probably a lot more that I am not aware of go out of their way to demonstrate an anthropological and cultural sensitivity at the interractive level. The closest I get to living out of my comfort zone is on the PMVs. I am comfortable doing that because it is a necessity for me to get around. I would like to go into a village - I went into Tumua - and stay with the people not as a curiosity but as people reaching out to each other. The links I have put up on my blog show some of the other ways that others have reached out. I do worry that I could be seen as arrogant when my behaviour is more a response from shyness. Further, what I write is meant to be a sympathy for the plight of the people who are dependent on the bona fides of their leaders but as you understand it was interpreted as being offensive. If I don't judge, why am I judged? Because I appear to be judging? This is why dialogue needs to occur - in order that we can unravel our misunderstandings. I am a guest in your country. I cannot do host type things.

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home