outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

"Did you know...

that the skills and competencies gained from international volunteering - such as flexibility, strategic thinking, conflict resolution and resourcefulness - are the exact ones that Australian employers seek from their management and staff?" Winter Issue p3 AVI Magazine.
In this light, I wonder what I can say I will take back with me? Elsewhere I said this experience was as much about the subject as the object. In fact, from an objective perspective, I never regarded volunteering in PNG as an international experience. In my mind it was a neighbour experience - a place that is always there and which you will visit when you get around to it. International meant Africa, Middle East and some parts of Asia. International is a place you go to be flabbergasted. Flabbergasted describes the confusion created in the mind when one confronts an arsehole in an ordinary situation where arseholes are not expected to be. I was walking on the grass beside the road outside the flashy Madang Resort on Sunday. This Z car (government ute with wontoks on the back) headed straight for me at about 20kph. I thought he was just dodging potholes but he kept coming so I moved aside and he followed me and I moved more and he kept coming until he finally came to a stop under a tree. I just stood and stared. To see an arsehole driving a car! Now there is flabbergastion! I was flexible (I moved). I thought strategically (I'm still alive). I am still trying to resolve the confusion and conflict that an arsehole is able to get a driving licence. I was resourceful - I did not confront the arsehole as I know what comes out of it.

1 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work twinkletoes dodging a car moving at 20kph. Surely you must have had plenty of practice dodging cars travelling faster than that in Australia. No need to become flabbergastered over such a minor thing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home