outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Thursday, November 16, 2006

living in an unequal society

Bring me bread and bring me wine. Where are you going?
Sire, to give some to the peasants.
Stay, I have not yet had my fill. More, give me more. Where are you going now?
If it pleases you sire, I thought you had seconds and that I should give some to the peasants.
Fool, you wait on me not on them. Give me more. Now is there any left?
No sire.
Well done fool. I hate to see too much food prepared which then has to be thrown out.

Politicians last week voted themselves generous increases in allowances. Meanwhile drivers drive on pot-holed roads; children sit in classrooms with no desks or books; and goodness knows what nurses and patients in hospitals put up with. I just loaded about a crate load of books for a school sent up by donations from Australia into a truck. Why are the politicians not concerned about the education of children as ex-pats and national teachers are?

Bring me bread and bring me wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home