outback to jungle

Musings on experiences of volunteering in Papua New Guinea with some gratuitous domestic social and public comment

Monday, November 13, 2006

Peter is back at work

as our security guard at our end of the campus.
Peter lost his brother Apo several weeks ago and I had gone to the haus krai and helped out. He brought these around for me yesterday. The green crop is pawpaw shown in comparison to the bush knife and in the previous picture it is on a dinner plate. The red tomatoes taste like tomatoes used to taste when my Dad grew them back home. He brought me pineapples and spring onions and sugar fruit and potatoes. How much the poorer would one's life experience be without knowing people like Peter and his family and Joseph and the ladies sitting outside their house who let me walk down to their beach the other day. When I say "their" beach, they probably don't think of it in terms of ownership like we do. But the point is they went out of their way to provide a beach experience on the edge of their house for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home